Frequently Asked Questions
Can I submit proposals for two different projects?
Yes, although we don't encourage this. We prefer that you think hard about the project you'd most prefer to work on if selected for this cohort. If you decide to submit two pitches, make sure to clearly delineate them in your application and uploaded files.
2. Are you allowed to apply as a two-member writing team?
Yes, teams may apply with a joint project. If accepted, the team will receive only one stipend and must designate one member to attend all the convenings (in-person and virtual). Please submit one application and include a CV, work sample, and references for each member of the team, or one work sample that was co-created by the team.
3. Will you consider older applicants or is this program meant for younger creators?
We would be delighted to hear from a wide range of applicants, including applicants of all ages (21 and up), and are building a cohort of people who will benefit in diverse ways from the program. We see the Lab as investing as much in people as in their projects: successful applicants will be committed to participating fully in all aspects of the program, will demonstrate their ability to carry out their proposed project with the right support, and show potential to continue in the field into the future, regardless of their age.
4. What if I am a great writer/storyteller/musician but have zero digital or audio/visual media experience?
We'd love to hear from you, but keep in mind that this is not a film school boot camp. We will offer high level creative support at our meetups and through our mentorship program - for instance we might have a session around experimenting with editing styles to change the way a story lands - but we will not be teaching basic technical skills like lighting, editing and recording audio. You might choose to upgrade your video/audio skills on your own (we can point you to some resources), or find a partner to do this with while you focus on the writing part.
5. What if I live abroad right now but will be in the US in the fall?
You must be living in the US when the program starts, eligible to work in the US, and receive payments in your own name. We will not make travel arrangements from international airports.
6. What do you mean by "narrative media" and "stories?"
We’re looking for content for general audiences, that’s storytelling first and foremost. It can live in different genres - comedy, journalism, documentary, soap opera - but it needs to be produced for new media platforms and not simply “a TV show” or “videos of my standup.”
7. I am producing a feature film or documentary. Can I apply to the Lab to develop supporting materials?
We are supporting creators in the development of episodic, digital-first projects - not funding film projects. We are unlikely to accept proposals like this unless the proposed project can stand on its own and is not just promotion for your film.
8. My idea is for a talk or interview-based show. Should I apply?
We are seeking ideas for narrative storytelling. Interview format shows and podcasts are outside our area of interest at this time, unless they are highly scripted and produced in a way that crosses over into storytelling.
9. I'm an established media producer/artist/journalist, should I apply?
Sure! But please note we are looking for applicants who will participate fully in all aspects of the program, and feel they would benefit significantly from the program beyond the financial support. If this doesn’t feel right for you, perhaps you'd be interested in working with us as a mentor or presenter? Contact us at email@example.com.
10. I have a major life event (birth, wedding, etc) happening during the retreat schedule. Can I attend virtually?
We are building a cohort as much as we are building projects, and we believe in the power of gathering in-person to build our community as well as our skills. Because of this, attending our two in-person convenings is mandatory.
11. I am nursing a baby or have another concern that may impact my participation, can you accommodate this during the convenings?
We will do our best to support your participation. Please contact us with the specifics of your needs at firstname.lastname@example.org.